Kharkiv is situated in the north-eastern part of Ukraine. It is the second largest city in Ukraine. Kharkiv is a major cultural, scientific, educational, transport and industrial centre.
The city is also known as a centre of historical and geographical region of the country, called Sloboda Ukraine. The Soviet Ukraine’s first capital resided in Kharkiv. Our city celebrated its 350 anniversary in 2004.
The city occupies a total area of 306 sq. km. Its population is 1456 thousand people. Nowadays there are 2700 streets, squares, alleys in Kharkiv.
The longest street of the city is Sumskaya, Moscow Avenue (about 20 km) and the largest square is Freedom Square, it is one of the largest squares not only in Europe but also in the world. There are 60 scientific and research institutes, 8 museums, galleries, 7 theatres, 80 libraries in Kharkiv.
Kharkiv, students’ city
Kharkiv is considered to be students’ city, where science and education have always played an important role. Nowadays there are 30 000 educational establishments which training about 300,000 students.
One of the oldest universities of Kharkiv is Karazin Kharkiv National University, founded in 1804 on the initiative of the prominent educator V.N. Karazin. Pharmaceutical education also starts in Kharkiv National University.
Ukraine joined to the Bologna process in 2005. So, higher educational establishments in Kharkiv have worked according the Bologna system. National University of Pharmacy is recognized to be the basic higher education establishment to coordinate the introduction of the Bologna Declaration regulations.
Kharkiv is the capital of pharmacy of Ukraine
Kharkiv is the largest centre of the pharmaceutical education, science, drugs and medical equipment manufacturing. There are drugs quality control service, branch net of pharmacy enterprises, great informational field (specialised editions: journals, newspapers, reference books, other) here.
The following establishments situate and work in Kharkiv:
- National University of Pharmacy
- Institute of Professional Skills Improvement of Specialists in Pharmacy of NUPh
- Kharkov State Medical University
- Kharkov Medical Academy of Post-diploma Education
- State scientific centre of medicines of the National Academy of Science of Ukraine
- 13 scientific-research institutes of the medical type
- 10 big pharmacy firms and plants
- approximately 1000 pharmacies
- College of the National University of Pharmacy
Kharkiv pharmacy scientific potential:
- 25 academicians
- 120 doctors of sciences
- more than 500 candidates of sciences
- more than 450 medicines are worked out and invented by Kharkiv scientists
- 30% of the medicines of Ukraine are produced by Kharkiv pharmacy firms and plants.